Saturday, July 12, 2008

Competency 5D, Citation Pearl Growing in Books in Print

For my citation pearl growing search, I used the Books in Print Database.  Since my topic is on reluctant readers at the elementary level, I chose "reluctant readers" as my search term.  This brought me 203 results.  I found a book titled, Reviving Reading:  School Library Programming, Author Visits, and Books That Rock! by Alison Folos.  I selected the search term "school libraries."  From this result list I found three books that I liked.  I noticed different search terms listed under each title.  The most common search terms listed from my book selections were "school libraries" and "children's libraries."  Through this searching method, I can see how you can keep going and going.  I liked this searching strategy the best out of all the others.  I'm anxious to try it out on other databases.

 

The author, Alison Follos is an experienced school librarian who uses "creative library literacy programming" to instill an interest in reading for pleasure in students.  Her book focuses on getting the school faculty involved in reading children's literature to model the love of reading.  She gives ideas on how to build a strong literature-oriented program and collection.


Follos, Alison, M.G. et. al.  Reviving Reading:  School Library Programming, Author Visits and Books That Rock!  Westport:  Libraries Unlimited, Inc., 2006.  



  

No comments: